Wednesday, June 22, 2011

WEINI - Starting with 'U' - Chapter 6

First time reading this story? CLICK HERE FOR PART 1

It's here.

The day after the last recess with Alyse. We've bonded. I'm sure we did. And I'm sure we're friends now. I mean, two weeks of going to recess together must become a habit somehow, right? Although I'm a bit sad and disappointed that our 'contract' is over, but I'm sure she won't mind if I sat with her during recess, because her best friend, Lara doesn't sit with her (I don't know why she still calls Lara her best friend when Lara leaves her alone to hang out with her boyfriend and his friends).

I saw her looking really deep in thought. Her eyebrows creased, like she always does when she's concentrating on something or really upset. I've noticed that for the past few weeks. I walked up to her and tapped on her shoulder. She turned around slowly and looked up at me straight in the eyes. I felt a really intensed and sorrowful feeling when the light brown eyes were looking right into me.

I shuddered at the intensity of it. Her eyes were never like this. It used to be lively and brilliant. Warm. I asked, making sure I was correct this time, "Alyse? You alright?"

She just stared at me emptily. She was so near. But her eyes stared into emptiness, a void... some distance away. She didn't look like she heard me, even though, I know she could. I can't stand it any longer so passed her notebook back to her. She took it but didn't say thank you or anything I thought she would. I figured she need someone. But at the same time, wanted to be left alone. So I turned and walked away. However, I can still feel her intense stare even though I'm not facing her anymore. And it burns.

During history class, I can't help but keep glancing at her. I don't know why, maybe to make sure she's alright. Not fading away. She looked pale. And although she looked like she was paying attention (I know she pretends to pay attention all the time, and does a great job of it... but today...) I know her mind was miles away. Because her eyes gave it all away. That creepy distanced stare.

What was she thinking about?

Then the bell rang for recess. She stood up stiffly, packed her things away as always (she's a really tidy person). Pencil box tugged away in her desk. Bottle at the exactly same spot on the right side of her table and the 3 pencils arranged neatly according to their lengths. Eraser at one end of the pencils to the left. She pushed her chair into its place and slowly made her way towards the door. I wonder if she knows what she's doing half the time. Was she doing these routine consciously or sub-consciously? It's like, she has some obsessive compulsive disorder or something...

Sometimes, I'm so worried she might knock into something and not realise that she's hurt until she passes out, unconscious, because of excessive bleeding. Gawd! Now that's scary!

I followed her to the canteen and stood in the queue to buy my food. She walked over and sat at the table with her own lunch box and was nibbling at her food. I took my food tray and sat in front of her. I greeted her in my most cheery voice, "Hi ALICE!" and I made sure I got it wrong. I like it when we argue. But today, she didn't seem to hear me. Usually she'd snap back. But today... it's not normal. I tried again.

"Um... ALICE?" I exaggerated.

Still no response. Just her mouth chewing that indicated that she was still alive.

"Alyse?" I asked, feeling really worried this time.

Nada.

"Is something wrong?" I asked as shook her shoulder lightly. Suddenly, her eyes was back. The ones with life in it. I felt relieved for a moment. Then, some recognition took over her eyes and her eyebrows creased again. This creasing was different, it's the one she puts on when she's annoyed or irritated.

Then she said, she didn't snap, "What I want is that you keep quiet or go away..." but it was still harsh. I like it better when she snaps. That was normal. This is not.

I didn't want to leave her alone. In case, something happened. I don't know what, maybe you know, someone tripped and the hot soup splashed at her and scalded her and she might still sit there as if nothing bad had just happened. She can be really lost in her thought sometimes. So I just kept quiet and glanced worriedly at her every now and then until recess ended.

I've never seen this side of her. She didn't look like the person who would scream at cockroaches. Giggle at everything and nothing. Cry for little things. In fact, she looked like a really stoic person to me. Maybe this was her way of being strong. Detaching herself.

During class after recess, I saw her doodling really sad stuff in her notebook. Then she was writing something. There was a period when there was no teacher in the class. Lara came over the her place (which is beside my place) and sat in half of Alyse's chair. I overheard her telling that Gabriel was seeing Stephanie Weatherly.

Stephanie Weatherly is pretty. But not as pretty as Alyse. She is quiet too. But she is the kind of girl who giggles. And gives me goosebumps when she does. Now I know why Alyse was being so emo now. Because Alyse likes Gabriel, that freakin' nerd, and now he's with someone else.

My heart went out to her. I don't understand why Gabriel can't see how great Alyse is. And in his face that he can never see that. His loss. Suddenly, I feel lucky. And I feel selfish. I don't wanna share Alyse wth anyone else. Because she so cool and nice. Such a great person as a friend.

Then Lara said, "I'm sorry sis. But seems like, Mr Charming is taken... any new target?"

Man! I felt like slapping that girl! She's not only not helping. She's rubbing salt into Alyse's wound! Some best friend she is... pfft!

I went home and took a shower. I played the PSP and had a nap. I woke up for dinner much later and did some homework and revision and Alyse's forlorn eyes was still haunting my thoughts. At about 11 in the night, my phone rang.

I was surprised. Who would call me this late? I reached out to my phone and looked at the screen. I was more surprised than very surprised. On my screen was a really unexpected caller.

calling...

I picked up my phone, wondering why she would call me this late. She didn't say hello. So I did.

"Hello?" I started.

"Hello..." her voice floated down the receiver. She sounds better, although her voice was a bit hoarse. Was she crying?

"Yes?" I asked.

"I called you," she said.

"Yea. You are calling for?" I asked patiently.

There was a short silence before I heard her voice, a bit broken, "I want to talk to somebody..."

"Oh..." that's it? She wants to talk to someone and all I can manage is 'oh'??? I slapped my forehead.

"So what do you wanna talk about?" I asked.

"Anything..." she simply said.

"Anything? You called to talk to when you have nothing in mind to talk to me about?" I asked, then I regretted for saying that because it sounded a bit harsh.

"I like piano..." she said. Now that was random...

"I play the piano..." I told her.

"I'm a music-instrument retard..." she informed.

"Oh... do you want to learn how to play the piano?" I asked.

"Yeah... I always wanted to be a pianist," she said.

"I can teach you... someday..." I said.

The conversation flowed after that. I learnt what kind of music she liked. I learnt what she dislikes. And I learnt a lot about her. The surface stuff. I still haven't made it to the deep stuff. I need to take things slow. It's one more step to our friendship.

I don't know what happened after that, because suddenly, I saw myself playing duet on the piano with Alyse in my house's second living room. It's so romantic. It's like a dream...

A dream...

A dream???

A DREAM???!!!

I opened my eyes. I looked at my alarm clock. It's 6.33 am! It's morning already and I don't remember saying 'bye' or 'good night' to Alyse! Oh my God! I slept!

Shyte! I slept!

WEINI

1 comment:

  1. Oh my my, your story is fabulous and it just made me LOL, literally.
    this is totally a good pick-me-up story Wei Ni, can't wait for more! =))

    ReplyDelete