Friday, June 17, 2011

WEINI - Starting with 'U' - Chapter 2

First time reading this story? CLICK HERE FOR PART 1

I hate changing schools. I hate making new friends knowing that I have to leave them someday soon. But this time, my dad promised me that he won't accept anymore career promotions or move anywhere else. And I really hope he keeps his promise. I hate being a kid with rich parents and annoying siblings. Especially my brother. He steals my PSP all the time. ALL THE TIME. And he plays my 'saved game' slots. AND ends up losing ALL THE TIME. So what if my parents are rich? It's not MY money.

On the first day of school in my new school, I was really nervous. What if people here didn't like me? What if I don't like anyone? What if they decided that I am a snob? What if they think I'm a freak and I become and outcast? All the nightmares I had before came back haunting.

When I stepped into the class, I didn't dare to look up. But then, I decided to be friendly when the teacher asked me to introduce myself in front of the class. So I stood in the middle, in front of the class and went on with the procedure I came to be so familiar with. That was when I started scanning the class for 'potential friends' where I can start with.

There was only one empty seat and I was assigned to sit between a sleeping guy and this really quiet girl. The guy was sleeping throughout the first hour and I decided that he won't be awake any soon (and I was right because he slept all the time). So I turned to the girl. She seemed so absorbed in her work. I can't wait any longer. I want to make friends. However, I didn't know how to start. Do I go, "Hiya, gorgeous. Wassup?" but what if she's not the kind of girl who flirts? Then she gives me a slap or a kick in the balls *wince*.

Then these words tumbled out and I regretted it because it sounded stupid, "Hi, I'm Aaron Rodriguez." I realised I already introduced myself just now. She nodded but continued with her work. She didn't even look up! So I cleared my throat and told her where I was from and why I was here. I also told her about what I liked to do. But not once she acknowledge me properly nor did she told me off. So I continued what I did the best when I am nervous. Keep talking.

If she was annoyed, she didn't show any sign. So I continued and I gained my confidence. She smiled at me once. And she was really pretty. She has this cute dimples and her eyes sparkle when she smiled. I just kept going on with my mindless crapping. After school that day, when she was packing up, I said, "Bye Alice!"

"Uh-lease," she corrected politely.

"Oh, sorry... Uh-lease..." I corrected myself.

She smiled and left.

For a few days, I just kept on with my mindless talk while she just listened (or I think she was listening) and wrote in her notebook. From time to time, she would nod and smile. Sometimes, she will say something to indicate she was listening like, "Really?" or "Oh, that's nice." or "Hmm..". From days, it turned into weeks.

Every morning, as usual, I would greet her:

"Hi Alice!" I would put on my most enthusiastic voice.

"It's Alyse. Uh-lease," she would correct me politely.

"Uh-lease," I would correct myself.

She never seems to change her expression. Or have any expression at all. Sometimes, she did things which make her so different from everyone else. It feels like she's this charming girl, daredevil, she's just different. I'm not saying that I like her now. She just intrigued me. Always.

Sometimes, I talked about my brother. Sometimes, I talked about my phone. Sometimes, I talked about random stuff.

I just don't know what happened, because one day, when I greeted her, she just snapped back at me. I was talking about getting a haircut, and yea, it's lame I know. I was taken aback, but at the same time, I was really glad, because we finally had a real conversation. I took it as a step forward to our friendship. Yet at the same time, I was hurt. Maybe she woke up at the wrong side of her bed?

But I didn't care. It's still a step forward. She finally acknowledged me!

But I was silent the whole day that day because I was afraid that if I spoke, she might kick me in my balls, like in every nightmare I got. I don't even know why I thought she would, I just know, I don't know anything about what's going in her head. I just know she is that mysterious.

Until school was over that day, I said, "Bye Alice" and climbed into the car. I was waiting for her to shout 'Alyse! Not Alice' after me, but I didn't. So I turned to the window and saw her colliding with Gabriel. That nerd from The Elite Class.

Then I saw him pull her up. Then her dreamy face staring after he walked away. Then I knew it, she has a crush on him. My heart sank, I want her to like me too. I mean, not the like like way. I want to be liked. By everyone. Accepted. No one cares or acknowledge me in this school. I didn't try to make them like me either. Lara seems to hate my guts. And the worms in my guts too. She snapped at me every single chance she gets.

I sighed and opened my bag. I pulled out the notebook. Her notebook. She forgot to put it in her bag. I touched the cover. Vintage patterns. Flower printed on black background. So her style. I was so tempted to open the book and read what was inside. It's her privacy. Should I barge into her life? I was having a dilemma whether to open it or not. I mean, really, what was she writing in it every time I was crapping, trying to get her attention?

When I reached home. I took a shower, had my lunch and laid down on my bed. The book was teasing me. On my table, come and read me! it says. After dinner, I couldn't help it. I opened the book. There, on the first page, it read:

Alyse Rallison a.k.a Mrs Sanchez

Then the second page was a poem. A love poem. So was the next five pages. Her writing was neat. On the sixth, the date on the top right caught my eyes. It was the date I first came to this school. I read:

He is so annoying. This Aaron guy...

The entry wrote about how annoying I was. How I was disturbing her. How she can't believe I would be sitting next to her for the rest of the year.

I felt so hurt. That was the first impression I gave? This is really bad. Why didn't she just told me off? As I continued reading, gobbling every single word on the page. It ended with:

I have a new phone! FINALLY a phone of my own! I told Lara my new number. I mean, she is my best friend. Actually, rephrase, she is my ONLY friend. I made her promise to not tell anyone my number.

At the end of the entry, was her number. The first thought that came into my mind was, she is so stupid! Who writes their number in their notebook. But then again, she might have wrote it to remind herself. Moreover, this notebook is supposed to be hers. I think, no one else was supposed to read it. I was thinking whether to call her. In the end I did.

"Hello?" said her voice, it's weird talking with her on the phone. She sound different. Calm. Soothing. I felt all my nervousness melt away.

"Hi Alice!" I said, trying to cram as much enthusiasm as I can into my voice.

There was a pause before she said, "Alyse." I chuckled to myself. Typical her.

"Alaise," I said. I liked to get her name wrong. I like her correcting me. But I think it's starting to get on her nerves.

"It's ALYSE!!! Uh-lease! Do we have to go through the same procedure every single day???" she said in an exasperated voice.

She knows! She knows it was me!

"How did you know it was me?" I asked.

"I don't know who you are!" so she doesn't know... "But if you're Aaron, which sounds suspiciously like you, then get off the phone now! But if you're someone else, then I'm sorry for shouting." I don't know what came over her today. She was really crappy and snapping at me all of today.

I told her that her notebook was with me. I told her I will give her back tomorrow. But on second thought, I didn't want to. I had a plan in mind. To force her to acknowledge my existence. Then we can be friends from then on. A new way to start being friends.

And I was really excited.

WEINI

No comments:

Post a Comment