Saturday, August 20, 2011

WEINI - Unlike Yesterday's World

His name was Brent.

My name was Hanna.

Yes, my name was Hanna. I'm not Hanna anymore. No one can call me Hanna like how Brent did. No one can make Hanna sound magical, special and beautiful like Brent did. It was an ordinary name, but to me, Brent made it special. My name is now Leah. Because Brent has gone... so must Hanna.

----------------------------------------------------

"Brent!!!!" Hanna ran up to him. She couldn't stop herself in time and collided squarely into his chest.

He laughed his special laugh that never failed to soothe Hanna, "What is it, Hanna?"

"Brent!!!!! I found a spider!!!" she squealed in delight. "By the window!!!"

"Oh!!! Let's go catch it!!!" Brent said excitedly.

So they both went and caught the spider in a container which added to their collections of their 'captives'.

"When I grow up, I want to be a scientist!" Hanna said loudly.

"Well I wanna be your teacher!" Brent said jokingly.

"Huh! Why do you always get to be my teacher? I wanna be YOUR teacher too!" Hanna whined.

"Fine, Hanna! You can be my teacher," Brent said.

"Yay!!!" Hanna whooped in joy.

"Just for today..." Brent added.

"Awhhhh... but that's not fair!!! You get to be my teacher EVERY DAY!" Hanna whined again.

"Well, today is your special day. So you get to be my teacher. If you become my teacher every time, then it wouldn't be special anymore, would it?" Brent said.

"Okay, today, I will be your teacher," Hanna grinned widely.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Brent?" Hanna called.

"Yes, Hanna?" Brent replied.

"Can I come in?" Hanna asked.

"Sure... what's up?" Brent asked. "You don't look very happy... something bothering you?"

As if on cue, Hanna started crying. "Oh my God... Hanna... what happened?" Brent asked, carefully, as he moved towards Hanna.

"It's Jason..." Hanna sobbed.

"Oh... Jason... has he hurt you or something?' Brent asked.

"Yes..."

"That bastard!!!" Brent hissed angrily...

"Right here... it hurts..." Hanna touched her chest where the heart was supposed to be.

"Oh Hanna... shhhh..." Brent said as he hugged her tightly and rocked lightly as Hanna sobbed uncontrollably.

"He lied... and it hurts..." Hanna cried softly. "He lied... he said he'd love me forever... he lied..."

Brent nodded. He knew... guys are unreliable. That's why, he never gave his words of love in any form of promise to any girl. Because he was afraid he'd hurt someone. And he never want to hurt anyone.

Brent hugged her tightly as he rocked her, consoling her with his warmth. Comforting her with his embrace. He didn't have to say anything. Because he knew, nothing can mend a broken heart. And sometimes, silence is the fastest way to move time. And time sometimes, can make someone give up the hurt. But it can never, EVER, heal a wound. He knew. And he knew Hanna does too. And crying is the only thing in present that she can do. And he let her do it.

After hours and hours of crying, Hanna fell asleep. Brent moved her and placed her lightly on his bed. He looked at her. His delicate little girl. He leaned in forward and kissed her forehead. Sigh... first love always hurts, don't they?

-----------------------------------------------

Hanna was crying. Brent just held her hand by her side. Looking down at Hanna. They were at a funeral. Hanna's parents' funeral. They died in the car-crash which orphaned her. Now is just her. And Brent. She was alone. And Brent was her closest love. Her only love.

-----------------------------------------------

"Hanna!" Brent whispered. "Stay where you are! Do not come out no matter what!" Brent warned.

Hanna nodded. She was scared. It was written all over her face. Brent ran off leaving Hanna in her hiding place. After what seems like hours, she heard a guy shouted and then she heard a gunshot.

BAMB!

And she knew it. A shiver went down her spine. She trembled in fear where the merciless soldier would find her in her hiding place. She shivered at the thought at what they would do to her. They would probably do what to her what they did to the others.

Capture her. Bring her to the horrible laboratory. Inject her with a kind of virus. Or rape her first, maybe. And she will become like them. Mindless soul. Walking zombies. Feeling-less body moving across the borders and fighting for the merciless Landlord. That greedy Landlord who wants everything to himself. She saw them all. She saw her friends getting killed. She saw her mindless cousins walking like zombies towards the army from the other side of the border. Their heads being shot off and they were still walking. She'd rather die human. She'd rather.

"Hanna..." a breathless whisper startled her.

"Brent?"

"Hanna... you need to run... faster!" Brent said.

"I need to run? What about you? What happened Brent?" Hanna asked, panicking.

"Just go!" Brent's voice sounded painful.

"What's wrong Brent?" Hanna asked worriedly.

Brent grunted as he pressed his bullet wound by his right side.

"You're hurt!" Hanna said, tears streaming down her dirty cheeks.

"Don't worry about me. Run!' Brent said, pushing her. "Quickly!" Brent said impatiently while clutching at his wound.

The sound of the soldiers' feet was getting nearer and nearer. Hanna tried to put Brent's arm on her shoulder but he wouldn't have it. Instead, he kept moving away. In the end, Brent gave in and ran along with her.

They found an old warehouse and hid inside. They settled down in a corner. Their heart pace quickened when they heard the soldiers marched pass. They exhaled in relief when the soldiers' footsteps faded away.

"Brent..." Hanna whispered.

"Hanna... you should have run when I told you to..." Brent said in pain.

"But you were hurt! And I couldn't leave you alone!" Hanna said tearfully.

"Hanna... come here..." Brent said.

Hanna moved towards Brent and Brent embraced her. "Hanna... remember when we were younger? When you were six and I was nine?" Hanna nodded. "We caught a spider and mom freaked out..."

Hanna sniffled a sob. "When you were 15 and I was 18? I was working on my assignment and you came into my room? You cried because your first love broke your heart?" Hanna nodded. "You cried to sleep..."

"Stop Brent... don't..." Hanna knew where this was getting to...

"When you were 17 and I was 20? Mum and dad died in that horrible car-crash?" Brent continued despite Hanna begging him to stop.

"When you were 21 and I was 24. The Landlord defeated The Government and everyone who was captured were Infected with The Virus?" Brent said as he winced, remembering the horrible incident.

"Brent..." Hanna sobbed. Brent was dying. Only people who are dying talk like that.

"Hanna, I won't be here forever and I want to tell you that... I love you... Hanna..." Brent said.

"I love you too, Brent..." Hanna replied.

"Thank you, Hanna. For being my sister. For being my little girl... forever..." Brent said.

Hanna shook her head. No! She cannot lose Brent too! She can't! "Brent! Stop it! You won't die! I won't let you die! We'd get the bullet out and stitch the wound up. We'd go to the hospital!"

"You know the hospitals are corrupted. You know The Soldiers are everywhere. We can't go out of hiding," Brent said. He was giving up. This wasn't the Brent Hanna knew. This wasn't him.

"Hanna... you won't be alone. I may not be here with you, but I'd be in your heart. Forever," Brent said softly.

"I don't want you to be in my heart. I want you to be here with me too!" Hanna said.

"You know that's not possible... Hanna..." Brent said.

"It is possible!!!" Hanna said in exasperation.

Brent NEVER gave up!

"I love you Hanna..." Brent said for the last time and his breath faded away.

"BRENT!!!" Hanna screamed as if that would bring Brent back to Earth.

It never did.

------------------------------------------

I'm Leah. I'm 28. And I had a brother whom I love. He is the person I love the most. He is my first love. No one can ever replace him.. He was there when I was happy. When I was sad. When I was lonely. He will always be in my heart. My dear brother, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment